Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Review of Goodnight Moon

Goodnight Moon, 60th Anniversary Edition  ~~ Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon 
Goodnight Moon was one of my absolute favorite books when I was very young. I cannot tell you how many times my mother read it to me until I could read it for myself. I literally wore my copy out; it fell apart at the seams before I was 4. So, when I was pregnant with my son, 8 years ago, the one gift that I cried over was a copy of Goodnight Moon that my cousin Sue, a fellow English teacher, bought for me to read to the little man.

It quickly became one of his favorites; we read it every night. Somehow, we managed to not wear his copy out. 

I pulled this old favorite off my son's bookshelf earlier this year since it's been a few years that I last read it. (It's not "cool" enough for and 9 year old who's into mysteries and science fiction right now.) 

I still love this book; I love the rhythm of it and hearing the cadence of the words as I read it aloud. And I love the illustrations. I swear I notice some new little detail every time I read the book, and when you haven't read it in a few years, it's like rediscovering an old friend, or slipping into your favorite pair of jeans--warm and comforting.

Ahhh...book nostalgia.


5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment